Saturday, October 1, 2011

Keskarel The Script, by Chris Arthur-Henly Robinson

The characters and the dialogue in Keskarel were entirely improvised by the actors in our live action storyboard, directed by sylviatoyindustries and written by Chris Arthur-Henly Robinson. 75% of what we shot during the creation of the storyboard was thrown out as the characters lived an ever-changing story in their fictional world. Our collaboration resulted in a solid story to which Chris is givin dimensionality in his scriptwriting based on the storyboard. We will be sharing first draft of Chris's script in this blog, sometimes by pasting in, as in this post, but also by uploading video of readings at story conferences so our readers can share the experience of Keskarel's continuing process.

Interior of a house at dusk Keskarel is wearing a white lace dress and high heels she stands taunting her husband (Nima) with a frozen chicken in her hands.
Keskarel
You wanted chicken; I’ll give you a chicken.

Nima
What the hell are you doing? Stop it. Sit down.

Keskarel
No I will not sit down.

Keskarel is still taunting him with the chicken.

Nima
You’re annoying me, stop this shit and sit down.

K antagonizes’ him further, Nima begins to duck.

Keskarel
I will not sit down.

Nima
Yes you will.

Keskarel
No I will not—you wanted chicken here it is.

Nima screams and then Keskarel hits him with the chicken. Nima hits the floor; Keskarel hits him again, then again again as his legs twitch. She drops the chicken and backs up to the edge of the kitchen door. She glances into the living room. She looks back at her husband, then out the door again, she glances at Nima one last time then she runs out of the house. Nima is shown lying motionless on the ground. Keskarel slams the door behind her.

The scene switches: mid afternoon on a busy street. Keskarel glances into a laundry mat and goes inside. She looks for a place to hide. She veils her body in a washer, then she feels silly. She gets out and staggers around the place like a drunken buffalo. She settles on the seat farthest away from the window and takes deep breathes clutching her face with both hands. She picks up a magazine then she puts it down. She taps her feet on the floor. A parade of customers walk through the door. Keskarel panics, she heaves heavy sighs and her body shakes. She runs out of the laundry mat.

The scene changes: Keskarel walks around the city at dusk. She looks at pretty dresses in store front windows. She ogles wonderful food at pastry shops.

The scene switches: Keskarel goes into a convenient store; it is night time. She walks into the store after seeing a (For Rent Inquire Within) sign on the window. She approaches the clerk.

Nidal
Hello can I help you?

Keskarel
I saw that you have a sign up it says there is an apartment for rent.


Nidal
(Pauses and smiles)
I do have a sign up.
Keskarel
My name is Keskarel

Nidal
Please to meet you Keskarel my name is Nidal.

The two shake hands.


Keskarel
How much is the apartment you have for rent?

Nidal
$1600 a month.

Keskarel
(Shakes her head)
No, I can give you $1,000 a month Nidal.

Nidal
(Smiles)
I could go as low as $1500. That is one hundred dollar off. That is the best I can do in this economy.

Keskarel
How about $1,100 I can do $1,100 dollars. This is close.

Nidal
I would like to help you, but I have a family and my wife would kill me if I rented out an apartment for $500 dollars less a month than it should be, to a pretty woman.

Keskarel
(Smiles)
I could give you $1,200 a month this is even closer than $1,100.

Nidal
(Laughs)
You seam very nice but, $1500 is as low as I can go.

Nidal pauses and the two stare at each other.

You’ve never rented a apartment before, have you?

Keskarel
(Smiles)
I used to live with my husband, but I cannot live there anymore.

Nidal
This may be rude of me to say, but can I ask why you don’t live there anymore.

Keskarel
I can not say. I do not want to say is, this is what I meant to say.

Nidal
(Nidal runs his hands through his hair.)
It’s none of my business. I ask too many questions. I apologize for asking. I can go no lower than $1400 a month.

Keskarel
(Smiles)
I thought it was $1500?

Nidal
Yes I said it is $1400?

Keskarel
I can pay $1400.

Nidal
Now I will need your driver’s license and I will need to pull up your credit history and I…

Keskarel
I give you three months rent advance. I do not want to give you license.

Nidal scratches his head.

Nidal
I could get in trouble with the…

Nidal stops and he stares at Keskarel.

Nidal
I can show you the apartment tomorrow or if you wait an hour I can show it to you after I close up my shop.

Keskarel does some quick math.

Keskarel
I do not need to see it I would like to move in tonight.

Keskarel opens up a money belt, she fumbles with it and money goes all over the place. She crawls on her hands and knees and collects all. She counts out $4,200 then hands it over to him. Nidal is reluctant to take it, but he does. Keskarel stuffs the rest of her money into a money belt.

Nidal
You might want to be a little more carful with all that money.

Nidal smiles and hands her a set of keys he keeps hidden in the register.

Keskarel clutches onto the keys and holds them close to her heart.

Keskarel
Thank you so much.

Nidal nods, Keskarel walks to the window and takes the for rent sign off.


The scene switches: it is day time and Keskarel is staring out her casement into the adjacent neighbor’s house. She begins to remember an argument she had with her husband, the one in the beginning leading up to the chicken incident. In the memory Nima has just come home from work. He walks into the house and Keskarel has laid out a decadent table spread for their one year anniversary.

Keskarel
How does it look my sun?
Nima
It looks great.

The two kiss and Keskarel sits down at the table with him. He examines the hamburgers K has set out for the two to eat and snarls at it.

Keskarel
I have been thinking of you all day today baby. When I was mixing the burger meat all I could think of was how you will like it.

Nima is reluctant to eat it.

Keskarel
What’s wrong why are you not eating?

Nima
There’s nothing wrong with it.


Keskarel
Then why don’t you eat it? You don’t like it?

Nima
If you were thinking of me you would have known I like my hamburger cooked I don’t like anything raw really.

He flips over the bun.

Nima
I can’t eat this I am sorry this will make me sick. You should have made chicken or something baby…

Keskarel
It is good, you haven’t even tried it. I spent so long making it good for you it will not make you sick.

Nima shows it to her.

Nima
The blood has actually soaked through the bread.

Keskarel
I worked all day to make this for us. It is very good and special just try it.

Nima
I love the thoughtfulness of it, but the blood is soaking through the bread. Do you see all those little bits of pinks?

Keskarel
Yes I know but…

Nima
Remember how I like it a little bit more well done? You remember that right?”

(K begins to cry.)

Nima
Its okay you’ll get better. You can’t possibly get any worse.

Keskarel
My mother never taught me to cook like the other mothers did. I didn’t want to give it to you well done it is bad for you.

Nima
The blood is soaking through the bread. I cannot not eat this Keske it will make me sick. I don’t want you too either.

Keskarel
When you talk to me like this it makes my whole world go black.

Nima
Maybe you should turn on a light in your black world and you would be able to tell if something was cooked right or not—(laughs) I know that you’ll get better baby next time just try cooking chicken or something a little easier.


The scene changes: Night time, The Videographer films Keskarel as she brings up bags of groceries to her house from her window.

Scene switch: Early morning. The Videographer is filming Keskarel from her window again as she takes her trash out. Keskarel runs back into her house and begins to panic.

The scene switches: It is mid day. Keskarel sees The Videographer walking inside of the apartment complex and decides she must confront her. She waits for the sound of The Videographer’s door to shut then she storms out of her house to knock on the Videographers door.

KNOCK KNOCK!

Keskarel
Why you take picture of me.

The Videographer
Excuse me. I don’t even know who you are.

Keskarel
I am your neighbor and I see you with the camera filming me when I take groceries in or take out trash. I need my privacy.

Keskarel is breathing heavily she has to collect herself.

Keskarel
Please do not take my picture lady I need my privacy.

The Videographer sighs.
The Videographer
What’s your name?

Keskarel
Keskarel.

Keskarel puts out her hand to shake The Videographer’s, but The Videographer ignores her and Keskarel puts her hands back by her side.

The Videographer
I filmed you Keskarel because that is what I do. I take pictures for a living. I do it all the time.

Keskarel
Please stop. I can’t have anyone take pictures of me.

The Videographer pulls a camera from her back pocket

The Videographer
You mean like this.

She films Keskarel. Keskarel gets mad. The Videographer laughs.

Keskarel
Please stop it.

The Videographer puts her camera to the side and smiles

The Videographer
I film things because, it makes life more interesting. I don’t discriminate. I point it at everybody. Most people smile and wave at me when I film them.

Keskarel
I no smile, I no wave I think it is weird that you are always filming people.

The Videographer
I like taking pictures of interesting things and interesting things are often weird.

The Videographer points her finger at Keskarel.

The Videographer
And you’re weird honey, not me.

Keskarel
No you are the weird one.

The Videographer
Listen honey this is America and I have the right to film whatever I want too.

Keskarel

I know it is American law that you cannot take picture of someone unless they sign release.

The Videographer laughs
The Videographer
Have you seen yourself on the web? No body sees what I shoot and no one would care even if I did post it. Give me a break who are you anyways?

Keskarel
I already introduce myself to you I am Keskarel.

The Videographer laughs.

Keskarel
You no take my picture, you cannot without my permission. You cannot film without release I know.

The Videographer
Oh you know, you know, you know the law? You’ve been in America for five minuets and you think you know the laws?

Keskarel
I have been here seven years. I know a little bit of the law.


The Videographer
So how do you know you need a release? Do people try to film you all the time? What are you a high fashion model or something?

Keskarel
I once was.

The Videographer laughs.

Keskarel
Oh you don’t believe me, how do you think I get here?

The Videographer
You probably snuck on a boat or were apart of some mail order bride service; now that I can believe.

The Videographer shakes her head

The Videographer

I know you’re weirder then me.

The Videographer shakes her head again.

The Videographer
And you’re paranoid too.

Keskarel
No lady I just don’t like my picture being filmed. I am trying to be nice because we are neighbors.

The Videographer
Do you think the K.G.B. is going to come after you if I film you? America doesn’t have all that K.G.B. and big brother shit you guys have in Russia. All I know about you people is that you had some stupid Revolution and there were the White Russians and the Red Russians and you ware Ushanka hats and your Tsar was murdered and you all have those stupid accents that make you sound mad all the time.

Keskarel
This is bullshit lady, I make simple request and you make fun of my accent and my country. I have never done anything to you.

The Videographer
No, this is not bullshit, this is free speech.

Keskarel
No you are taking advantage it is not free speech.

The Videographer
All I did was film you.

The Videographer shakes her head.

The Videographer
Why don’t you get with it and be free, join us American’s, enjoy your rights, stop worrying about impeding on mine—Leave me alone.

The Videographer slams the door shut in Keskarel’s face. Keskarel leans her head up against The Videographer’s door and yells.

Keskarel
Please don’t pick on me anymore. Please stop filming me.

The Videographer (From behind her door)

Bye.

The scene switches: Keskarel walks down the stairs from her apartment carrying lots of bags in her arms. The Videographer is going the other way. The two pass. The Videographer is on the top and Keskarel is about to walk out the front door, but is interrupted when the Videographer yells, holding her camera.

The Videographer
Got ya!


The scene switches: Keskarel sees The Videographer going to the convenience store. 
She runs down and follows the Videographer out the door. Keskarel yells after her while running.

Keskarel
Hi lady I don’t want to fight anymore with you.

The Videographer does not acknowledge her, she keeps on walking.

Keskarel
Hi lady I am trying to say I am sorry we are fighting. We are neighbors we should be friends. We probably have more in common than we are different.

The Videographer ignores her.

The scene changes: Keskarel runs in front of The Videographer before they walk into the store and tries to open the door for her. The videographer glares, pushes her away and ambles in all alone.

The scene changes: The videographer is at the counter filming the shop owner Nidal.

Nidal

Hello, how are you doing?

The Videographer leans on the counter pulls her torso away, still filming.


The Videographer
I’m fine. I’m just doing that thing I do.

Keskarel runs up and interrupts the two. 
The Videographer points her camera at Keskarel. Keskarel glares.

Keskarel
Do you have a soy cheese pizza?

Nidal
Of course we do its probably hidden somewhere in the back.

Keskarel
I am sorry to interrupt, but I could not find it will you help me.

Nidal smiles.

Nidal
Of course

Nidal walks around the counter. The Videographer glowers at him, still filming as he goes back to find the soy cheese pizza for Keskarel. The Videographer turns to Keskarel with her camera and asks.


The Videographer
Do you always act so helpless in front of men?

Keskarel
I am not helpless I just could not find the soy cheese pizza.

The Videographer
You really eat that stuff?

Keskarel
It is very good.


The Videographer
Uh huh, pizza is supposed to have cheese on it in America.

Keskarel

It is very good and good for you, it has no cholesterol. And you can buy pizza with no cheese on it in America so not all pizzas in this country must have cheese.


The Videographer
I’m trying to get onions here okay that’s all I want.

Keskarel
I am very excited about soy cheese pizza you can not find them in grocery stores in my country.

The Videographer
Grocery stores? This a liquor store.


Keskarel
No this a grocery store.

Nidal comes back with the soy cheese pizza in his hand. He smiles at the women and goes back behind the counter to ring Keskarel up, but The Videographer interjects.

The Videographer
I was first. Why are you ringing her up before me?

Nidal sighs.

Nidal
Okay I will ring you up.

The Videographer
No let her go first if she wants her soy cheese pizza so badly.

Keskarel
Please go before me you are first in line.

The Videographer stares at Keskarel, still filming her.

The Videographer
No.


Keskarel walks in front of her, someone else walks into the store. He is a petty thief and he looms in the background waiting to rob anything, someone or even the whole damn store if need be.

Keskarel
You must go first.

Nidal starts to ring up her things. While he does this The Videographer takes out a money clip out of her pocket and waves it in the air filming everything with her free hand.

The Videographer
This place used to stand for something there wasn’t any soy cheese pizza nonsence.

Nidal laughs.

Nidal
Stand for something what exactly does that mean? Stands for something, this is a store, not a political canidate.

The thief runs and steals The Videographer’s money then he runs out of the store. The Videographer does not know her money has been taken.

The Videographer
It just means—it’s a feeling like pride you can’t put it into words…

Keskarel and Nidal are gawking at The Videographer.

The Videographer
What?

Keskarel
Someone stole your money lady. He steal your money and run out of the store.

Keskarel points to the door, but no one is there.

The Videographer
No one took my money, my money is right here in my pocket.

Nidal
She’s right you know, she’s right someone stole your money. Someone just took your money and ran out the door.

The Videographer checks her pockets empties her wallet out onto the counter waiting for money to fall out like rain, but nothing happens. The Videographer checks her pockets again and gasps when she finds out its been taken from her. The Videographer pauses, holds her camera up to K’s face and yells.

The Videographer
You took it, you took it, I’m going to report you.

Keskarel
I didn’t take it. Someone else take your money and run out the store.

The Videographer
None of you did anything to help me.

The Videographer pounds on the counter.

The Videographer
You could have helped.

The Scene Switches: The robber is running down the street waving his cash in the air.

Scene change: Mid day, interior of the adjacent neighbor’s house directly across from K’s apartment, the one her window looks out onto. A woman answers the door, but fixes her hair in the mirror first. She opens the door and a man is standing outside.

Mike
Hi you Linda.

Linda

Yes this is my house and you must be Mike.

Linda opens the door and lets him in. The two shake hands.

Mike

I am Mike that’s my name.

Mike is carrying a stack of Shakespearian plays in his hands.

Mike
I brought some stuff I didn’t know how much stuff you had.

Linda
Oh okay. Thanks. Why don’t you have a seat.

Mike

Here

Mike points at the couch.

Linda

Sit wherever you want.

Mike sits down, while Linda shuffles around in her kitchen.

Linda
Can I get you something to drink Mike?

Mike
Yea maybe a water; a water sounds nice.

Linda

I also have Diet Coke if you would like.

Mike puts the books on a coffee table and adjust his glasses.

Mike
No water will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment