Monday, July 11, 2011

A message from AD Chris Arthur-Henly Robinson

Gmail keskarel navapeac <keskarel@gmail.com>

The last 2 scenes

Christopher Robinson  Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:48 PM
To: keskarel navapeac <keskarel@gmail.com>
Hey Sylvia, this is the second to last scene as clearly marked below. I
am still working on the last scene.
I might have to get it to you by tomorrow afternoon. I have a rough
draft for the last one, but I spent a lot more time on this last scene
then I thought, but I really love it and I hope you do too.


Second to the last scene

Both of the girls are riding on a train headed towards the ocean; we
follow them around with the hand held; wide shot, until they find a
seat. When they sit down, we pan into a close up of their faces, they
do not talk to each other, instead they both look at the other
passengers and the scenery. V begins the conversation; K is staring
down at her shoes, humming something. We keep the camera focused on
them from the adjacent seat to theirs just showing their faces and mid
sections or what ever you see when you look behind at the next seat on
a MUNI train.
a. V is looking outside when she says, “You don't want to be alone
when you’re my age. You don’t, really its no way for anyone to live.”
She turns around and stares at K who is still looking at the ground,
she waits for K to lift her head.
b. K lifts her head and says, “Maybe, I should not be alone for the
rest of my life with a different man that is not my husband.
c. V looks away and giggles then says, “He’s probably the only man in
this city that would marry you.”
d. K ignores her and glances around the bus. When she gets a thought
she stares at V and whispers, “There must be a reason I mean,” she
leans in closer, “there must be a reason I hit him. There must be a
reason I killed him.”
e. V: “Except you didn’t kill him.” She looks intently at K as to make
some profound point that is lost on her. “You hit your husband because
you were angry. People get into ridiculous arguments when they get
married.”
f. K: “Have you ever been married.
g. Pan out to medium shot of the window V looks out. She twists around
to K, we go into the same adjacent shot in front of our ladies as V
say’s, “What was wrong with him? You said that you married the wrong
man, why? I know, he didn't hit you,” V laughs, “You’re the one that
hit him—was he mean to you or something?”
h. K looks away, out her window and mumbles. “No, but still he may be
the wrong man for me.”
i. “When people get married they are stuck together like glue. Stuck,
stuck, stuck…That is why I have never been married I don’t want to be
stuck.”
j. K shakes her head. “I love this city. The architecture is so beautiful.”
k. V looks straight ahead. “If anything he married the wrong…” V stops
herself. “You cannot hide out in that apartment you have, that is no
way for anyone to live.”
l. K turns around and stares at her: “I don’t understand you just said
you will never marry, why do you care about my marriage?”
m. V: “Because some people are not meant to be alone—I’m fine—but you,
but you are the type that needs someone else.”
n. K has tears running down from her face, there is a brief pause as
she looks out the window and says, “It has always made me feel so good
looking at the pretty buildings in this city and the trees in the
parks.
o. V goes to put her hand on K shoulder as she glances out her window,
but cannot seem to set it down. She rests her hand down on her own lap
and says, “Things will be better if you’re with him. You won't have to
live in that cruddy apartment of yours.”
p. K is still looking away. We pan out to get her P.O.V. wide shot of
the window as the train goes by Golden gate park, we hear her whisper:
 “When I look at the trees here I feel like I am in a rain forest,
they do not have trees like this where I come from. They only have
long lines of factories and snow. They only have women that stand in
long lines to get married to rich men, they think will take them away
to someplace better.”
q. We switch back to the original close up of the two from the seat
ahead of them. They are silent as they look outside. V is filming, she
looks down at her camera and looks at the trees and tries to see them
the same way as her friend, but she cannot, she gets frustrated, sets
her camera down and say’s, “Honey you cannot avoid this anymore. You
have to go see him that doesn’t mean you have to love him or stay with
him it just means...
r. K is looking down at her hands: “I like my home.”
s. V looks at the side of her face. “Are you listening to me?
t. K shakes her head, “Yes you are saying maybe I married the wrong man too.”
u. V smiles and says “You really are impossible.”
v. K pulls the bell the two are silent until K says, “This is our
stop. This is where I would get off to go to my old home.”
w. The two get up, V forgets her camera as she follows her friend we
do a close up of the camera being left on the train then pan out and
follow the two with a wide shot.

They step outside, medium hand held shot. V stares at K walk away and
yells out,
a. “Where are you going.”
b. K stops and turns around, P.O.V. wide shot of K, “I follow you out
here and listen to you cause you tell me I need to see husband and
this is okay because you are my friend,” she balls her hands into a
fist close up of her hands then face, “but if I am going to do this
big thing I must go to the beach first.”
c. Medium shot of V as she sighs and asks, “Why?”
d. Pan to V close up into her face, “The beach is the place where I
figure things out the best and we are not at the house yet.”
e. We follow V with the camera, medium shot as she tries to catch up
to K and rants, “I don't like the beach. I don’t like the water, the
waves crashing blaring in my ears, the air is salty and the birds
don’t get me started on birds…”

Medium shot of the two as they step onto the sand V is still listing
off her aversions to the beach.
a. Wide shot of K as she walks away from V. She smiles, the wind blows
her hair up and she twirls around.
b. Wide shot of V glowering.
c. Hand held medium shot with the hand held as V catches up to K. We
follow them from the front as the two begin to walk. V turns to K and
says, “What are you going to say to him when you see him? What do you
say to a man you think you killed, but did not? You know I am still
not clear about the whole thing.”
d. K interjects with, “I haven't thought about it.”
e. V says, “What do you mean you haven't thought about it.
f. We remain with the same shot from up front, K says, “I don't want
to think about it because I don't like that it will be hard.”
g. V says, “But your going to do it?”
h. K shakes her head yes and says, “I don't know.”
i. V says, “What do you mean you do not know?”
j. This last part will be improvised, V tries to tell K what to say,
but K shakes her head no many times or how many times is up for
interpretation because you the actors will be managing it.

We focus the camera on K long shot pan into a medium shot as she
spontaneously runs to the waves, Wide shot of the two as V chases her.
Close up of K as she pulls her keys out of her pocket and throws them
into the ocean. V catches up to her, after she has done it, K is
huffing and puffing. Medium shot of the two from behind as they look
at the waves together for a several minuets in silence. V laughs and
says, “Well how are you going to get back inside your house now.”
End Beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment